After a boisterous weekend celebrating my father’s 80th birthday with twenty of his relatives, a weekend full of non-stop puns and eating interrupted by games (the eating, not the puns), I got back to work yesterday, and today finished the painting from last week’s value study.
My goals were:
1.) to make the eggs the focal point without letting the chicken, with its bright red comb and wattle, upstage the eggs. I think I accomplished this by putting the chicken in front of the bowl, also painted with red.
2.) to leave a section of the painting unfinished and suggestive, which I did in the lower left hand corner.
3.) to use a monochromatic color scheme, which didn’t happen. I added Winsor green to the cadmium red to get a dark and then liked having the two colors together, complementing each other and making a greater contrast. So I have a complementary color scheme.